Saturday, August 9, 2008

Seventeen Years eh?

“Just be with me.” - Christy Brown (My Left Foot)

Steve and I are celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary today. I remember the first time I saw Steve. The moment I laid eyes on him I knew he was “the one” and that I would marry him one day. It didn’t matter at the time that he was already “engaged” to someone else. She was a minor complication. I knew he was mine regardless. I didn’t do anything about it. I knew in my heart that fate and/or God would take care of it. I can still hear my dad’s laughter when I came home that night and told him I was going to marry Steve Dow.

Life has a way of moving on and so it went. Twelve months after my premonition my phone rang. Guess who? Steve Dow calling. He didn’t marry the “girl “ and wondered if I’d be coming to visit my parents soon and whether I would meet up with him. You ask how he got my number. Guess who? My dad, who wasn’t laughing anymore. Maybe I was onto something after all.

That was the fall of 1990. I’ll spare you our courtship details. We got married in August 1991, exactly 9 months after our first date. Quit counting... I wasn’t pregnant. Hilary didn’t come until 1994 and we had been married 3 years by then. Like all marriages we have experienced our trials and tribulations, but we have always been committed.

Steve is a very patient man. I have an affinity for animals. In our second year of wedded bliss I brought home Sir Winston the tabby cat that is still with us. Steve graciously accepted him. When Hilary was about 18 months old I decided we needed a dog and brought home a beagle that we named Casey (after Casey on Mr. DressUp). That didn’t last long as Hilary tortured the poor pup. Steve reluctantly drove Casey back to the Mennonite farm in Floradale.

I’m a slow learner, so when Hilary was about 3, I thought it’s dog time now and I came home with the most beautiful Shar Pei. We named her Tasha May. While Steve was not overly excited, I reminded him that he had 2 choices; either a Shar Pei or a St. Bernard...He opted to keep Tasha. She took over his heart and we loved her for her lifetime. Three years ago she reached her peak and developed renal failure. I can’t describe or recount the story of the day that Steve and I took Tasha in to be put down. Thanks Tash for being part of our life. As the neighbourhood kids always said “you rule”.

Then we got Sir Rupert our Olde English Bulldogge. Steve picked him himself. I won’t embarrass my Steve, but sometime if you get a chance you should eavesdrop on Steve singing his good morning and good night song to Rupert. I was never allowed to have dogs growing up and having them in my married life has been a joy. The truth is Steve got into this “pet thing” because I wanted them. I love him for that.

Hilary is another story. She is and defines our life. We do everything for her. She is the cement that fuses us together forever. We have had three homes together. Each beautiful and distinct. A few years ago I suggested that we should have a “summer retreat type of place”. Before long Steve found our cottage at Kettle Point. It’s our sanctuary and Steve sourced out locations knowing my obsession and love for the “Ojibwas”.

I have an extreme passion for gardens and Steve goes along with it. He knows every Latin plant name and their bloom cycle. I decided a few years ago that we needed a pond and he drew the plans and made sure Bob dug it out to plan. He feeds the Kio and yells up when the water lilies bud and open each morning. He’s out there weeding and toiling the soil with me. How many other husbands do that?

I have been blessed. Steve anchors me. At the same time he is my kite runner and holds the string while I fly.

Happy Anniversary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both!!! Steve it truly is a good job that you phoned when you did because Jacqui is not as patient as you and it 'coulda' got ugly!' You two were always meant to be and are a wonderful example of love and commitment for Hilary and the rest of us. Love you both and am looking forward to celebrating many, many more anniveraries!!
Kim
831