Sunday, April 12, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes


“When you least expect it, expect it.”...RC

I’ve been fighting purple dragons for over a month. So needless to say this 4-day Easter weekend was a welcome relief for me to be able to sit back and rejuvenate with friends and family. I wasn’t expecting to find the strength I needed from my little nephew. But there he was ready and able to lead me where I needed to go.

On Good Friday he and I sat at his kitchen island creatively exploring his new activity book. We found the missing objects in pictures, connected the dots, and navigated through the labyrinth to discover Easter eggs. He told me what he thought was “ridiculous” and what was not to be “discussed right now”.

Suddenly he said “let’s play outside”. He donned his coat and off we went under the full moon to Camelot. He became “Sir James Lancelot” and I “The Lady Jacqui of Shalott”. Grabbing a garden shovel, he told me to "stand back”...he had to slay dragons and evil to protect me. So together through his courtyard we transcended into a land of make believe, laughed and enjoyed the simple connection of two souls having fun together.

Finally, feeling cold I said I had to go inside and get ready to go home. He resisted that suggestion. I resorted to telling him my dog Rupert was waiting at my home and needed to pee. He looked deep into my eyes and said, “No he doesn’t, Rupert is sleeping right now.” Once inside he appeared with a stuffed dog, ran to the corner of the room and yelled, “Rupert just peed and pooped, you can stay longer now”

When the time came to leave, Sir James Lancelot came up to me and said, “You can’t go, Rupert is in the kitchen and he wants you, not me, you have to stay for him.” I didn’t want to leave either. Together we slayed the dragons that were wearing me down. More than that he gave me the piss and vinegar I need to keep slaying purple dragons.

Thanks Sir James Lancelot...you are my Easter and the apple of my eye. I love you buddy.

Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger... Psalms 8:2.........whoever would have “thunk” it eh...

2 comments:

Kimberley Trafford said...

..."eh" is right!?!

I love the blog, it is truly wonderful and vivid....the animation of our phone call earlier made reading it now a resounding echo. I hope you are going to frame this for your 'Dragon Slayer'. You are so lucky to have such a courageous and innocent protector!!!!

Anonymous said...

When a knight won his spurs, in the stories of old,
He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold;
With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand
For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I, and no sword by my side,
Yet still to adventure and battle I ride,
Though back into storyland giants have fled,
And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
'Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
And let me set free, with the sword of my youth,
From the castle of darkness the power of the truth.

Jan Struther, 1901-53.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msdmoimamHI