Monday, September 7, 2009

Peace Dudes


“I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.”...Helen Keller

What is peace? “Peace” conjures different images for people. It can mean the absence of hostility, healed relationships, social justice, economic equality, but by and large it is the sense of safety we all seek in our lives. I prefer to think of peace as “Shalom” as its meaning includes safety, welfare, prosperity, security, fortune and friendliness.

Shalom is more personalized as it describes relationships between people characterized by respect, justice and goodwill. For me “Shalom” also conjures the image of the safety of home. For the past month I’ve been travelling throughout Ontario preparing locations for our accreditation survey next week. I also lost a friend last weekend to cancer. It’s been a long journey. When I got home Friday night I was pooched.

Saturday was a family day to celebrate my nephew Adam’s 2nd birthday. My “Shalom” happened on the back deck...Duke, Fish and I just chatting. We weren’t chatting about anything of importance. We were just enjoying each other, referencing what to eat in Venice, where to go in Ephesus, and what life expectations lay ahead for each of us. It was a safe place, unconditional and filled with goodness. I was home, safe and sound where I belong.

I was reminded of our conquered battles and how together we can do anything. Duke and Fish have been my rocks and my pillars and have never failed me. I wouldn't be where I am today without them. It’s always been “all for one and one for all” and it felt good to be home. Thank you Duke and Fish for always being there...I’m always by your side. We’ve got mountains to climb; unfortunately for you my competitive side prevails...I’ll beat you both to the summit eh! Mwah xoxo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Peace is when those mountains are conquered by choice, not necessity

Kimberley said...

Beautifully said Jacqui!!! You have always been a team and nothing or noone...no time or space will ever change that. Unfortunately, I feel for them as you will not rest until you reach the pinacle before them and higher than them....but they can rest on the fact that as their OLDER sister you need to show them the way!!! (hehe)

Blasé said...

..or, Peace and Love!