Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sleepless in Qmentum


“The quality of an organization can never exceed the quality of the minds that make it up.”

All of us in quality management know the power of teams. Cross-functional teams whose members bring a wide-ranging diversity to the table often astound us with their creativity and problem-solving abilities. I work with the best Quality Team. In addition, we actually have fun, unless it is accreditation time. Like most Canadian health care organizations Accreditation Canada, formerly known as CCHSA, accredits us.

We just fired the start pistol for our next accreditation cycle and the next 9 ½ months promise to be gruelling, taxing and exhausting. At the end of it, our hope is the delivery of a full accreditation status. If that happens then all of this will have been a labour of love; like counting 10 fingers and 10 toes.

A few weeks ago, the Quality Team met to design our accreditation execution and training plan. As we orchestrated the necessary logistics, we realized that we would not be home much as we travel across the province to prepare our sites for the big test. That is what sets this team apart from other Quality Teams. They are the first to roll up their sleeves, like a symphony each player picks up their instrument, and off, they go.

Like every other accreditation cycle, we have had, some sleepless nights set in. I had my first last night. I am at my cottage and the rain is pattering on the roof, sleep feels good after a long day in the sun. I awoke at 1 a.m. frantic, listing all the items of our critical path in my head, jotting down things I think we have forgotten and this goes on and on like counting sheep to no avail. I remember looking at the clock at 6:30 a.m. And thinking something has to give. The next thing I knew it was 11:30 a.m. so I had a late start to the day.

I expect I will have a few more of those nights. When I get home, I will be checking our critical path just to be sure. In the meantime, I have pulled out my “Sleepless in Seattle” movie just in case...

2 comments:

Jerry Mings said...

Good teams have a great members. No doubt, all of the team members are having a few sleepless nights. Maybe the agenda at the next team meeting could reading, "Additional items from a Sleepless Night".

Jerry

Jacqui said...

Or additional item from a "neurotic Director". LOL