Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Jedi


"I don't believe the training of a true Jedi comes from listening to lectures. I want to teach you how to learn action, how to do things, not just think about them. There is no try." ―Luke Skywalker

I have a Mentor and I like to think of myself as his protégé. I refer to him as my “Jedi” however; he has the wisdom of Yoda. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a Mentor, therefore I consider myself blessed. I only have a few years of experience in Quality & Risk Management and although the theories and tools are embedded in me, the way my Jedi brings the applications to realization always amazes me. I am grateful that he imparts his knowledge, strategies and for his willingness to provide clarity so I can continue to grow.

I celebrated my birthday this week. My Jedi called to wish me a happy birthday, and in his usual ORID focused fashion he posed those dreaded provocative questions. I can only remember 3 of the 5 questions.

1. What was the high point of the past year in your life?
2. What were you disappointed with in the past year?
3. What do you want to accomplish in the next year?

Exhausted from staying up far too late the night before on a game he introduced me to, my answers were not focused at all. I was dismayed that my immediate responses all related to work. My Jedi sensed my frustration and encouraged self reflection to seek the true answers to those questions.

I journeyed throughout this week and found the answers. Thank you Jedi for your wisdom, council, patience and mostly for your friendship. When I grow up I want to be like you. Maybe someday I’ll actually be able to teach you something too.


"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."---Yoda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very fitting tribute!!!!

He should be just as proud and honoured to call you a friend too!!