Sunday, April 5, 2009

Proper English?


“Two nations separated by a common language”

Unlike my brother Fish I am not a Monarchist but could become one. However, being British I can’t NOT fall in love with England. We journeyed to London for March Break. It was the most action packed vacation week of my life. I fell in love with London but most of all enjoyed our family time together. Well except for the 5th art gallery...

This time for some reason I was particularly intrigued by how the British use the English language. I recognize that North American and British English have a common root back to the days of our Pilgrim Fathers. But I take exception when the Brits make accusations of some words and grammar being Americanisms, when in fact they're far from it so I’m highlighting some Briticisms which amused me immensely.

British English/ North American English

· Toilets/Washrooms
· Tube/Subway
· Lift/Elevator
· At the weekend/on the weekend
· Fag/smoke
· To Let/For Rent
· Rail/Train
· Platform/Station
London has worst coffee in the world coupled with the fact that they don’t have 10% coffee cream. The soil is fertile there for Tim Horton’s...So I gave up the coffee and resorted to bottled water which contained “proper“fruit. As opposed to improper fruit? I discovered “proper” fruit meant from real fruit not artificial flavours. We had dinner at The “Proper” Burger which meant 100% beef burgers. So very proper indeed, real and authentic products. And they were good!

As my daughter will attest, British men are beautiful. They know how to dress. Maybe a little too metro sexual but very nice eye candy. Who doesn’t like a man with a British accent anyway? They could teach Canadian men a few things about ditching the golf shirts and the chinos and getting a real haircut.

While we toured history I have to acknowledge that the Tower of London, Windsor Castle and St. Paul’s Cathedral were my favourite places. I honoured Florence Nightingale in St. Paul’s Crypt. She is only one of three women buried there. That tells you she wasn’t “just a nurse”. So wash your hands. I am in awe of Sir Christopher Wrens’ St, Paul’s masterpiece.
I walked the poets’ corner at the Westminster Abby when suddenly Austin, Carroll, Lewis, Shakespeare and Blake came to life. I witnessed Diana’s gowns and hailed our King Billy at Kensington Palace...long live Ulster. I observed the crown jewels and honoured the faith of our fathers at St George’s Chapel.

Only Fish knows what I sound like when I say this but... “God Save the Queen”. London Rocks!

1 comment:

Kimberley Trafford said...

The frivolity and joy that eminate here clearly represent the true quality and value of your trip....family time which so often suffers with busy schedules and deadlines!!!!

It is always a wonderful day when we just take a breath and remember what makes us tick!!!